Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Evening edition

Third full day here and I faced my first "catastrophe". Luckily, it turned out just fine.

I was supposed to pick up the younger girl, Gesa, at 4:00pm from school. So at 3:15 I walked out the door and went to the bus. The bus was late and after 30 minutes of waiting, two of them came at the same time. So I hopped on, thinking I would only be a bit late. Suddenly the bus took a detour and we are at the last stop and I am not near her school nor do I know where I am. No problem, I have a cell phone. Oh wait, I left the family's number in my school bag. Ok, I will call home and get it. Cell phone doesn't work. Find a pay phone. Wont accept credit card. No one speaks English. I am crying and having visions of being sent home tomorrow. Finally I get change and call my Grandma who gives me the correct number so I can call the family. Gesa is safe and sound at school and they come find me on a street corner. We arrive home only an hour late. I was terrified!

This morning I went to my first German class. I am the only student in my class from the US and it is taught only in German. I feel like a fish out of water, but I did OK picking up on what she was saying. I suppose this is probably the best way to learn!

Otherwise I am just trying to be patient with my adjustment. I have been feeling much more homesick than I expected. But everyone keeps telling me it will get better. Until then, I am trying to keep my mind on my job and school.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Great lessons learned! You did fine and overcame them all! Your grandma called me this morning regarding uniforms she found in your apartment and gave me the rundown of your day. She is very proud of you! As am I. Start each day with a smile and know everyday is going to be an amazing adventure! Much love, Di

    ReplyDelete