Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So Long

I walked through the door, expecting to hear dinner. It had been left slightly ajar and the house was silent. “Hello?” I called into the darkness. I lay my keys down on the table and got a glass of water. You promised you’d be home. Upstairs I hear the floorboards creaking. “Hello?” The creaks turn to heavy steps, slowly shuffling down the hall. My breathing becomes shallow; I am not brave like you. “Hello?” I croak. I cannot disguise my fear. The footsteps stop. Being calm is not my strong point but I manage to navigate my way to the phone. I begin dialing your number and the footsteps return, eagerly making their way to the stairs. My fingers must have tripled in size because I can’t dial the right numbers. Tears begin to well in my eyes. You promised you’d be home.

My body begins to fold into itself on the floor and I wonder; when did I become this woman? My home is dark and empty besides myself and the footsteps. And I lay crumpled on the kitchen floor. I am afraid but I can manage. I am disappointed, even that I can manage. But, I am alone. And that I cannot fathom. Is this what happens when you’ve molded your existence around the person you love? I look up and realize the footsteps have reached the kitchen and are watching me from the doorway. Quietly, I dissolve into panic but never look away.

The light flickers on and I hear someone scream, ravenously. You said you’d be home, and there you are. “Did I scare you?” You ask me gently. You sit on the cold tile next to me and take my hand. “What the hell were you doing?” I cannot disguise my exasperation. “I have a surprise for you.”

You carry me up the stairs as I try to steady my breathing. You’ve never carried me anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Something about this piece gave me chills. The first part seemed like a nightmare-- like in those terrible dreams where you need to dial a phone number you know by heart but can't remember. The last sentence leaves the reader with his or her own personal reactions to being saved from an inner struggle. Really amazing, actually.

    ReplyDelete